Late in 1881, owing to failing health, Barrett retired and passed the management of the Codd's Patents solely to Hiram Codd. Appears on at least one Hutchinson shaped soda bottle from the Midwest. The property was liquidated in 1930. The impression is on the shoulder of the jug. By this time Old Dominion also had acquired the Belle-Pre factory, which was nearby. The works stopped operation in 1915 and later efforts to reactivate it failed.
Later he went to work at a pottery in Bedford and by 1852 was working with his brother Josiah in Davidsville. Everett incorporated his Company in 1885. This firm was organized in 1860 and remain in effect until 1871. It is not known which produced these bottles. Although building started in 1878 at Block House Run, this pottery was not completed until 1879.
Beer bottles and fruit jars are known products. With Codd bottles available in different shapes and sizes, they have made their mark as a popular collector's item. The impression is on the heel of the bottle. Purportedly in 1843, he established the pottery at Dills Ferry. If you have additional information on the works listed below, have a picture of a factory, find a mistake or disagree with the information that is provided please feel free to email us at. In 1908, a flint tank was added for prescription ware and liquor bottles, but it does not appear as this line was long-lasting and the focus returned to beverage bottles.
When the Metropolitan Board required the property of the works in 1869, John Cliff moved the operation to Runcorn after gaining full control of the firm. In plain soda water, carbonic acid gas co2 and sodium-by-carbonate solution under pressure are mixed with pure water. The company employed about 125 workers and operated eight pots. George Ebey came to Illinois in 1828 and worked at a pottery in Springfield, likely that of his older brother John Neff Ebey, for three years. His father, William Bourne, took over the Belper Pottery in 1800. Isaac Wilcox retired in 1885 and the firm was soon after renamed F. They were attracted to Fairmont by the low cost of natural gas offered to glass manufactures.
In 1899, the company employed 87 and their specialty was soda and beer bottles as well as fruit jars. Because Americans were too impulsive to wait to find a proper opener, they used the finger opening method almost exclusively. By 1859, Philip and Francis seem to have been at different locations and by 1862, Lawrence appears to have gotten out of the pottery business and was manufacturing fire or stove bricks. The initial workers were strikers from the Honesdale Glass Works and William F. Chamberland in 1884 who in turn sold it to Otto N. One attempt, the Alton Glass Works Company, was organized, funded and appears to have starting building, but it can not be confirmed that they ever blew glass.
It appears that Francis was operating the business alone in 1840 until being joined by his brothers sometime before 1848. The impression is below the shoulder of the bottle. Later ads touted the firm's start date as 1740. The bottle is tilled under gas pressure forcing the marble into the lip where it meets rubber washer retained in a groove. In 1901, a branch office was opened in Louisville, which also produced liquor labels and was headed by his old business acquaintance, Fred J. With practice, anyone can produce effective images that will contribute positively to the sales process.
Based on various records, the firm appears to have been liquidated about 1893 and became the American Glass Works owned by Christian F. Later that year, a devastating fire destroyed both factories. The impression is on the shoulder of the bottle. Ryan were the owners and were experienced craftsmen. The went into receivership soon after and never recovered.
This factory was formed with capital from Adolphus Busch of Saint Louis and Jerome B. In 1898, it became a limited liability company. Some time prior to 1856 a James Hamilton was operating the Johnstown Pottery. Codd also developed a bottle opener to be inserted into the bottle's neck to push the marble down enough to let the trapped gas escape. Many Codd-style bottles are copies or variations of the original bottle designed by Hiram Codd in 1872.
The impression is near the base of the bottle. Natural gas discoveries near Port Colborne were the impetus for attracting industries to the area. Ebey was continues to be listed as a potter thru the 1880 census. The impression is below the shoulder of the bottle. We know he was born in England about 1844 and that he came to Canada and operated a hotel starting about 1870. He came to Montreal in 1857 and worked in the wholesale dry goods business.